some remarks

My photo
Ankara, Turkey
I'm just a sociologist astonished by the marvelous sense of humor of the universe! So, why not be a bad hat?

Friday, April 1, 2011

Melodic Remarks III - Turkish Punk Rock/ Ska, or Name It However You Like

I don't listen punk rock as much as before, but still some days the little punk girl rises up and plays the old stuffs in her archive. When I was a teenager (see it's an old lady sentence), there was a couple of bands in Turkey, and they were mostly underground bands. I think, it was first Athena who released an album even though they played the edition of other famous ska-bands' songs with Turkish lyrics. I have never been a fan of them, but also never complained if I heard their songs in a bar. Very recently, I think 4 months ago, they released their new album, and they surprised me for they finally did something worth buying.

 (Arsız Gönül: Shameless Heart)
see the video clip (unfortunately not available in youtube)

Still my favorites are two underground groups with no albums. One is from Istanbul Cemiyette Pişiyorum (it's hard to translate, but roughly it means "I Am Cooked In The Community") and the other from Izmir l.e.s.s. The former always has complicated lyrics so it’s hard to get what they really mean and sounds maybe more like... I don't know... I cannot compare them with any band. Just listen by yourself, and if you have an idea let me know :o).



And the latter is easier to listen (definitely, I'm getting older) and has NOFX like lyrics – simple, clear and says a lot indeed without pushing the words to seem like wise guys who have figured out life by the hard way.

(Alkolik Kuşlar: Alcoholic Birds)


Now, there is a new underground band doing garage-punk/trash in Istanbul, The Raws. They totally sound like Dead Kennedys :o) These three guys with their masks also have a funny theme. Their last album Let's Have a Bondage Blues was released from Squoodge Records (an Austrian company) in Germany, and they’re generally on tours in Eastern Europe and Germany. I didn't know this before, but after a little search on the internet, I've read so that they had also gigs with Reverend Beat-Man (a famous underground group from Switzerland).

No comments:

Post a Comment