some remarks

My photo
Ankara, Turkey
I'm just a sociologist astonished by the marvelous sense of humor of the universe! So, why not be a bad hat?

Friday, April 1, 2011

Melodic Remarks IV - Electronic 'Stuffs' From TR

As I said before, I was searching for new stuff in last.fm, and I stumbled upon a two women band named Kim Ki O (it's a Turkish expression meaning “who the hell is s/he anyway”, and as they said, it's chosen due to the phonetic reasons). These ladies who are ex-high-school friends recorded their songs by themselves till 2010 when their first album Dans was released by a record company (Enfant Terrible) from Holland. Without including computers, they make 'old-style' electronic music in an experimental style with a simple mixer, drum machines and a bass guitar on the stage. Their songs sound more like ambient and dark to me, still I kinda enjoy listening to them. Like other groups making qualified music in Turkey, they are invited for tours in Europe, and will be on tour in 2011 with Moon Duo (from US) in Europe again (babylon, 2011: 73).


(Herkes Evine: Everybody, (Go) Home)

A second remarkable band with their electronic/punk sound is Post Dial. The band consists of two guys who are both from Izmir and living in Istanbul. Since 2007, they have been playing in several venues in Istanbul, and had gigs with Zoot Women and Archive. They have only two EPs up to now, but their works are really promising. I think, they will also join the ones who are working with European record companies soon. Their last EP, "You Are Not Alone", can be downloaded (free) from their website.

for the live performance visit this link 


But my favorite is of course Men With A Plan not only because it's one of my friend's trio :o) but also their album Batteries Not Included was the best one I've recently listened to. It was my second day in Ankara when I saw Erdinç (left), and although they are already in top ten in Britain now and receiving several offers from Berlin at the same time, he was absolutely too modest for such a record while he was talking about their works. He told me, their idol is James Holden and they've tried to do something in the same line to border community. I have to admit that I'm not an expert on this as I also learned the things about border community from a friend in Berlin (and thanks to him, I saw James Holden live in Watergate), but I can say that, especially with their German-Canadian electronic sound, they are talented enough to catch the chance of working with them. My only regret is that I missed their live performance in babylon but I know that they've received really good critics so far.


Men With A Plan - Our World by menwithaplan

No comments:

Post a Comment